Please support Jeff Dickstein with donations.

*From:* Jeffrey A. Dickstein <mailto:jd...@wi.rr.com>*
*
***Sent:* Thursday, April 22, 2010 2:12 PM
*To:* Bill Benson <mailto:bjbens...@comcast.net>
*Subject:* Hirmer/Benson Update

Please distribute to your mailing list

In mid February, 2010, I traveled to Florida to attend the criminal
pre-trial conference in the Hirmer Case, 3:08-cr-79. I represented Mark
and Claudia Hirmer.

Pre-trial, two defendants plead guilty. Joseph McPhillips plead guilty
to conspiracy to defraud the IRS, conspiracy to commit wire fraud
against the customers of Pinnicle Quest International, conspiracy to
commit money laundering, several counts of wire fraud. Mark Lyon also
plead guilty to several counts.

Pre-trial, the government  moved to dismiss the wire fraud counts
against all defendants  except Ellen Stubenhaus. She is currently in a
Costa Rica jail resisting extradition. She has been in jail there for at
least six months now.

Pre-trial, Arnold Mansala decided the court lacked jurisdiction and he
failed to appear for various court hearings. He was arrested about two
months before trial started, deemed a risk of flight, and spent all time
since then in custody at a Florida County jail.

Defendant Mark Leitner decided to proceed pro se using the redemption
theory, filing numerous admiralty pleadings with the Court, all of which
pleadings were rejected by the Court. Being pro se he did nothing to
preserve the record, and there are no pleadings to be reviewed by the
11th Circuit.

Defendants Dover  Perry, Michael Leonard, and Arnold Mansala fired their
attorneys and filed a series of 30 magic bullet motions authored by a
new group, the Gatekeepers. As far as I  know, the leader calls himself
Dr. Eike (not sure of the spelling). The gist of the motions were 15
supposed substantial motions and for each, a motion for the court to
appoint an expert witness who would present testimony regarding the
motions to the jury who would have no choice but to immediately dismiss
the indictment. A copy of these motions is attached as a .pdf file.

The court denied each of the motions. Ellen Stubenhaus also tried to
file the motions, but since she had not made an appearance, the motions
were returned without filing.

As to the other defendants: Art Merino was represented by the public
defender's office; Gino Casternovia and Robert Pendell were represented
by CJA attorneys. Manansala, Leonard, Perry and Leitner all had CJA
court appointed attorneys as standby counsel. They sat in the back of
the courtroom and remained silent.

During the trial, Leitner, Manansala, Leonard and Perry remained silent
and presented no defense whatsoever. Rather than having nine experienced
trial attorneys on the defense, our numbers were basically cut in half
as the result of the *idiots* who conviced these people to follow their
BS tactics. Let there be no misunderstanding; I hold the Gatekeepers and
Redeption people directly responsible for the across the board guilty
verdicts returned by the jury after a day and a half deliberations.
Government lies were not refuted during the trial because of the
standing moot posture the pro se defendants took.

During the trial the judge threatened me with contempt on five separate
occassions for attempting to defend my clients. Part of this was a
threat that if I did anything during the trial to promote the 16th
Amendment issue, I would be thrown in jail, despite the fact that the
Hirmers were also charged with evasion of the payment of income tax for
several years.

The only highlight was that after 25 years of effort, we were finally
able to at least show the jury the original document from the Kentucky
Senate, although it was not admitted into evidence.

One of the defendants who plead guilty to conspiracy to commit money
laundering testified he engaged in no hidden financial transactions,
thereby admitting he did not commit that offense. The IRS agent
testified he merely guessed and presumed, from gross receipts using the
bank deposit method, whether the Hirmers had any gross income. The IRS
custodial witness admitted the certification of the assessment
and payments was false, but the judge allowed the documents into
evidence anyway.

After a two day legal debate as to whether my clients could present a
good faith defense as to the various offenses, the judge allowed us to
proceed. However, seeing that we actually had a good faith defense
resulted  in the judge continually interrupting the testimony,
and preventing the presentation of the defense. Each time the judge
agreed to a procedure for the testimony, she changed her mind. I
regrouped to the new procedure, only to have that procedure stopped.
This happened  three  times.

Trial started  on March 1, 2010 and ended March 31st. Since mid February
I worked a minimum of 18 hours a day. My goal was to stay close to the
courthouse, but because my clients were not prepared, I ended up staying
with them to help them prepare. They lived one and a half hours each
way from the courthouse, resulting in 3 hours of lost time and lost
sleep, although I spent time working in the  car on my laptop computer.

At the conclusion of the trial, the judge gave a judgment of acquittal
to Robert Pendall. Everyone else was found guilty and immediately taken
off to jail. Two days later the Hirmers had a hearing for bail pending
sentencing. The judge decided that since they had offshore bank accounts
and holdings in Panama, they were a risk of flight. The judge also
decided that since they claimed to be "sovereigns" and believed the
government was violating the constitution, this made them a danger to
the community. This, notwithstanding, the same allegations were made
pretrial and they were released on their own recognizance and proved
they were neither a risk flight nor a danger to the community.

The indictment also charged forfeiture, which is mandatory  upon
conviction of a conspiracy to commit money laundering. The forfeiture
allegations were dismissed as to all defendants except Mark and Claudia
Hirmer. The jury entered a verdict to forfeit two parcels of real
property in Florida and a little over $3,000,000 in money, although they
did not render a verdict to forfeit any particular bank account.

All defendants except Robert Pendall and the two who plead guilty are
currently in custody in county jails awaiting sentencing. Sentencing is
scheduled for the last week in July.

The message is perfectly clear. The federal government will absolutely
not tolerate American's speaking out against the government, and has no
problem ignoring the First, Fifth and Sixteenth Amendments. Dissidents
are to receive kangaroo court trials and only the most skilled lawyers
will avoid being jailed for representing their clients. The injunction
suits against Bill Benson, PQI, and the criminal trial of the PQI people
are perfect examples.

Another perfectly clear message is that paralegal gurus have no problem
selling their clients down the river in exchange for a few pieces of
silver to pay for their unadulated, ridiculous, not a chance in hell of
winning, "legal advice." These people just might as well be prosecutors
and federal employees; they are certainly a huge part of the problem.

The jury was given adequate grounds to acquit if they wanted to, thanks
to my defense efforts, which amounted to 85% of the defense effort put
on by any of the defendants. Yes, the judge helped them to vote for
conviction, but it is clear to me that for the average, uninformed
person sitting on the jury, to be "patriotic" means to support, not
resist, the conduct of  government. (During jury selection four people
who were anti-tax couldn't help but to tell the judge, thereby
eliminating anything close to a jury of the defendant's peers.)

I was not paid anything for the six weeks I spent in Florida, and a good
portion of my pretrial work was not paid for. As a result of not being
paid, I have been evicted from my home/office and have unpaid credit
card expenses for money I spent during the trial. I have until the end
of April to vacate my home/office.

I am in the process of packing. I have already thrown away two dumsters
full of my possessions, books, legal work, and other things as I have no
place to store them. Assuming I can come up with funds, my intent is to
load my belongings  into the smallest U-Haul truck I can find and see
where destiny has me headed. Right now, it looks bleak.

I do not have a forwarding mail address at this time nor phone number,
and my current e-mail addresses, jd...@wi.rr.com
<mailto:jd...@wi.rr.com> and jdl...@wi.rr.com
<mailto:jdl...@wi.rr.com>, will be out of service within a week.

A back up e-mail address is jdla...@yahoo.com
<mailto:jdla...@yahoo.com>. At some point in time I will be able to
check e-mail.

As you know, both 16th amendment webpages, jeffdickstein.com and
fightbacknow.us, are off-line. Anyone inclined to assist financially can
do so through paypal using the e-mail address jdla...@yahoo.com
<mailto:jdla...@yahoo.com>

Take care and good luck to all of you. Hopefully you will be able to
discern some wisdom from the Hirmer/Benson civil and criminal litigation
experience.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey A. Dickstein