http://www.leagle.com/unsecure/news.do?feed=yellowbrix&storyid=146369643

Lawyer wants court to overturn sanctions: Guilderland's Redlich calls
ruling on town court, website unfair

Times Union  June 18, 2010

By Christen Gowan, Times Union, Albany, N.Y.

Jun. 18--GUILDERLAND -- Warren Redlich, an attorney and Guilderland
Town Board member, has filed a lawsuit, asking a federal court to
overturn sanctions against him by an appeals court that ruled his
website was misleading and that he should not practice law in town
court.

Redlich, a Republican who is running as the Libertarian Party
candidate for governor, was originally sanctioned by the Appellate
Division of the state Supreme Court in 2008 and again in 2009. The
sanctions, investigated by the state Committee on Professional
Standards, stated Redlich needed to stop practicing law in Guilderland
Town Court.

"I have not set foot in Guilderland Town Court since the day I was
elected," said Redlich, who filed the lawsuit last month in U.S.
District Court in Albany.

The sanction stated Redlich cannot argue cases in town court since the
Town Board has authority over the town attorney, who would also be
involved in traffic cases in town court.

The Appellate Division also took issue with statements on Redlich's
website, calling them misleading. Among the items they singled him out
for was the assertion on the website that "in most cases you will not
have to come to court" if you hire Redlich's firm.

They also objected to his promise he help clients reduce the points on
their license.

Redlich said he believes the attacks are politically-motivated. "I do
think there's a political element from it and its coming from Albany
County Democrats," he said.

He estimated he'll lose $10,000 to $20,000 in revenue to his law firm
since he doesn't take cases in town court anymore. But, he said, he
will lose much more money if his website is altered or shut down.

"Whatever their motivations are, just compare my website to any other
law firm's site," Redlich said. "Why me? Why not all these other
lawyer websites?"

The Committee on Professional Standards referred all comments to the
state Attorney General's office, which could not be reached for
comment. Named as defendants in the lawsuit are Mark Ochs, James
Chivers and Michael Philip, Jr., all from the state committee, and
Presiding Justice Anthony Cardona of the Appellate Division in Albany.

Redlich said he will ask the judge for the right to question those who
filed complaints against him. Arguments in the lawsuit are expected to
be heard this fall.

Christen Gowan can be reached at 454-5350 or cgo...@timesunion.com.

-----

To see more of the Albany Times Union, or to subscribe to the
newspaper, go to http://www.timesunion.com.

Copyright (c) 2010, Times Union, Albany, N.Y.

Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

For reprints, email tmsrepri...@permissionsgroup.com, call
800-374-7985 or 847-635-6550, send a fax to 847-635-6968, or write to
The Permissions Group Inc., 1247 Milwaukee Ave., Suite 303, Glenview,
IL 60025, USA.

A service of YellowBrix, Inc.