Rick Stanley
Constitutional Activist
Phone: 303-329-0481
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We the People Scoop 11/1/05
WE THE PEOPLE SCOOP - TO EXPOSE!                                    **
**  Visit the website: http://www.stanley2002.org                   **
**  OR Our NEW Offshore Host at www.wtpconstitutionalactivism.org   **
**  Like the Scoop? Forward it to everyone you know!                **
**                                                                  **
**  SPECIAL NOTICE: Many of our readers know that the scooplist has **
**  been down for just over a month. We have been given no answers  **
**  by our previous hosts, so obviously we were taken down by the   **
**  Powers That Be (PTB) that do not what to see this kind of info  **
**  coming out. Hence, we have moved our newsletter and will mirror **
**  the Stanley2002.org website to offshore servers where they      **
**  cannot be tampered with.  The new mirrored site will be at:     **
**  http://wtpconstitutionalactivism.org                            **

OPINION RELEASE: Unenumerated Rights

STANLEY NOTE:  Our rights are God given (natural), unalienable, Constitutionally
protected and guarnateed rights, which do not come from government. They can'
take our rights away and issue us privelages.  It has happened, but I have been
pointing out that a revolution will take place because of it.  When the people
have had enough...

----- Forwarded message from [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----

Unenumerated Rights by Jacob G. Hornberger

            Unenumerated Rights
            by Jacob G. Hornberger

            A common misconception among the American people is that their
rights come from the Constitution. Even lawyers and judges are guilty of
believing this, oftentimes suggesting that whether a right exists or not
depends on whether it is listed in the Constitution. Law-enforcement agents
read criminal suspects "their constitutional rights," which leads some people
to infer that the Constitution is the actual source of people's rights.

            Nothing could be further from the truth.

            Suppose the Bill of Rights had not been enacted. Would that mean
that people would not have the rights that are enumerated in those amendments?

            No, it would not mean that. The existence and protection of those
rights did not depend on the passage of the Bill of Rights. The reason lies in
the rationale and purpose of the original Constitution.

            It is important to recognize that not only did the Constitution call
the federal government into existence, the type of government it brought into
existence was the most unusual in history. Why? Because it was a government of
very limited powers - powers that were expressly enumerated within the document
itself - and because it was the citizenry who were imposing the limits on their
own government officials.

            To ensure that the federal government did not become a destroyer of
people's rights, however, the Framers used the Constitution to expressly limit
the powers of the newly formed government.

            The Framers could easily have called into existence a government
whose powers were omnipotent. For example, they could have said,

              Believing that a government is needed to do good, the federal
government that is hereby called into existence shall have the power to enact
whatever laws and to take whatever action federal officials deem necessary to
accomplish that end.
            Notice that if the Framers had done that, the Constitution could
still have enabled people to democratically elect their public officials. In
such a case, then, we would have had a democratically elected government with
omnipotent powers - a democratic dictatorship.

            Thus, in bringing into existence a government of enumerated powers,
the Framers believed it was unnecessary to enumerate people's rights.

            In their minds, it was unnecessary for the Constitution to prohibit
the federal government from violating freedom of speech, for example, because
the power to do that wasn't listed among the enumerated powers of the federal
government anyway.

            As another example, with respect to the federal criminal-justice
system the Framers believed that it was unnecessary to list such guarantees as
due process of law and trial by jury because everyone knew that such procedural
rights, which had been carved out by the British people over centuries of
struggle against tyranny, were a well-established part of any civilized
criminal-justice system. If the Constitution didn't expressly provide the power
to abridge such rights in a criminal prosecution, then such power could not be
exercised.

            The reason for the Bill of Rights
            So, given a government of very limited powers - powers that were
expressly enumerated - why did the American people amend the Constitution with
ten amendments so soon after the original Constitution was enacted?

            The answer is simple: Unlike Americans today, our ancestors didn't
trust government or government officials.

            That in fact was the mindset of the Framers as they put together the
Constitution - that the biggest threat to their freedom and well-being lay with
their own government. They had seen what their own previous government (that
is, the British government) had done to them when they had been British
citizens, and they also were familiar with the countless historical examples of
governments that capriciously incarcerated or even killed their subjects,
arbitrarily seized their property, or otherwise infringed upon their rights.

            Thus, Americans demanded the Bill of Rights as an "insurance policy"
- one that was designed to ensure there were no misunderstandings among
government officials, albeit democratically elected, that their limited,
enumerated powers did not encompass the abridging of such fundamental rights as
freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and the right to keep and bear arms, or
such important procedural rights as due process of law, right to counsel, and
trial by jury.

            Opponents of the Bill of Rights responded with an obvious critique:
expressly enumerating some rights for protection from federal assault would
suggest that other rights remained unprotected. Thus, they argued, it would be
better not to list any rights whatsoever. Since the original document didn't
empower the government to abridge such rights anyway, no one needed to be
concerned.

            Fortunately, the proponents of the Bill of Rights won the day,
because for all practical purposes, in the 20th century the federal government
broke out of the original enumerated-powers straitjacket that the Framers had
imposed on it. The idea of a government of limited powers became an
anachronism, with the federal government's gradually adopting general powers to
act in the "general welfare" of the people. What has ended up limiting them has
been the express language of restriction contained in the Bill of Rights and an
independent judiciary willing to enforce it.

            If the Congress and the state legislatures had failed to enact the
Bill of Rights, there is little doubt that today, in the name of the war on
poverty, war on drugs, war on communism, or war on terrorism, the federal
government would be depriving people of intellectual freedom, religious
freedom, due process of law, right to counsel, trial by jury, and the other
rights listed in the Bill of Rights. (Keep in mind that, although the federal
government is depriving Americans of due process of law, right to counsel, and
trial by jury in the name of the "war on terrorism," so far the courts are
ruling against it on the basis of the Bill of Rights.) Thank goodness for the
wisdom and foresight of those who did not trust government and who insisted on
the passage of the Bill of Rights.

            The Ninth Amendment
            What about the argument of those who said that by listing certain
rights, the inference would be that unlisted rights would lack protection?

            That's what the Ninth Amendment was all about. It reads as follows:

              The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not
be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
            Acknowledging the arguments of those who were resisting the Bill of
Rights, James Madison argued that the Ninth Amendment was designed to address
their concerns:

              It has been objected also against a bill of rights, that, by
enumerating particular exceptions to the grant of power, it would disparage
those rights which were not placed in that enumeration; and it might follow by
implication, that those rights which were not singled out, were intended to be
assigned into the hands of the General Government, and were consequently
insecure. This is one of the most plausible arguments I have ever heard urged
against the admission of a bill of rights into this system; but, I conceive,
that it may be guarded against. I have attempted it, as gentlemen may see by
turning to the last clause of the fourth resolution.
            Again, the purpose of the Constitution was not to give people rights
but instead to bring a federal government into existence - a government with
very limited powers. Therefore, it makes no sense to look for a right in the
Constitution, given that the purpose of the Constitution was not to give people
rights in the first place. (We'll leave the issue of the Court's oftentimes
distorted understanding of rights to another day.)

            The correct issue with respect to government power, then, is whether
the federal government has been authorized by the Constitution to exercise some
power, for example, a power to infringe on people's rights, whether such rights
are listed or not.

            A good example of this principle involves the right to privacy.
While some have argued that privacy is not a fundamental and inherent right, it
would be improper to oppose its protection on the ground that it is not
expressly protected in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

            That is, since the Constitution did not empower the federal
government to violate people's right to privacy, the fact that the right to
privacy is not expressly mentioned in the Bill of Rights is irrelevant,
especially given the language of the Ninth Amendment.

            Here's how Justice Arthur Goldberg put it in the famous privacy case
of Griswold v. Connecticut, which involved a state statute prohibiting the use
of contraceptives:

              The language and history of the Ninth Amendment reveal that the
Framers of the Constitution believed that there are additional fundamental
rights, protected from governmental infringement, which exist alongside those
fundamental rights specifically mentioned in the first eight constitutional
amendments....

              To hold that a right so basic and fundamental and so deep-rooted
in our society as the right of privacy in marriage may be infringed because
that right is not guaranteed in so many words by the first eight amendments to
the Constitution is to ignore the Ninth Amendment and to give it no effect
whatsoever. Moreover, a judicial construction that this fundamental right is
not protected by the Constitution because it is not mentioned in explicit terms
by one of the first eight amendments or elsewhere in the Constitution would
violate the Ninth Amendment....

              Nor do I mean to state that the Ninth Amendment constitutes an
independent source of rights protected from infringement by either the States
or the Federal Government. Rather, the Ninth Amendment shows a belief of the
Constitution's authors that fundamental rights exist that are not expressly
enumerated in the first eight amendments and an intent that the list of rights
included there not be deemed exhaustive.
            (The reason the Court was addressing the Ninth Amendment in a case
involving a state statute is that it had previously held in a series of
decisions that the Fourteenth Amendment implicitly incorporated the rights and
guarantees in the Bill of Rights and applied them to the states. Thus, if
privacy is a right protected from federal infringement, it is also a right
protected from state infringement.)

            It is not difficult to see how far we have strayed from the original
vision that formed the foundation of our nation, and it's all been done without
even the semblance of a constitutional amendment.

            Today, the presumption is that federal officials are empowered to do
pretty much whatever they want, exercising countless powers that are not
enumerated in the original list.

            The only restriction on the exercise of such omnipotent power is the
Bill of Rights, but even that has been seriously eroded, especially with respect
to search and seizure and gun-ownership rights, and especially as part of the
government's "war on drugs."

            We can only hope that the federal courts continue to hold
unconstitutional the government's "temporary" suspension of habeas corpus,
right to counsel, due process of law, and trial by jury as part of its "war on
terrorism."

            By the way, waging wars on drugs and terrorism are not among the
government's enumerated powers listed in the Constitution.

            Who is responsible for this travesty? Ultimately, the American
people are responsible. As our ancestors well understood, the type of people
who gravitate to governmental power will inevitably thirst for ever-increasing
power, a phenomenon against which our ancestors tried to protect us with the
enumerated-powers doctrine of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. The
American people have permitted federal officials to indulge their thirst for
power by letting them break free of the constitutional constraints that
originally bound them. What we need in America is a rebirth of freedom, one in
which the American people restore the vision of freedom and constitutionally
limited government that formed the foundation of our nation.

            August 11, 2005

            Jacob Hornberger [send him mail] is founder and president of The
Future of Freedom Foundation.

            Copyright © 2005 Future of Freedom Foundation

            Jacob Hornberger Archives

      Back to LewRockwell.com Home Page

Disclaimer: Information shared in the Stanley Scoop is not necessarily
the opinion of the editor or staff.  It is shared for information
purposes only and it is recommended that you come to your own conclusions.
Live Free or Die! Liberty in our Lifetime!
We the People Scoop
http://www.stanley2002.org
http://www.wtpconstitutionalactivism.org
Reply to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Listen to: Standing Up for America Radio Show with Rick Stanley
Every Sunday, 6pm MST for 1 hour
On Truth Radio Network
to listen, click here: http://www.truthradio.com
Sponsored by:
Stanley Fasteners and Shop Supply http://www.stanleyfasteners.com

Also check out The Revolutionary Coalition!
This group is working to unite all third parties that defend the
constitution, independents, and non-voters (making up 60% of
Americans) into one SUPER THIRD PARTY!

This group has a single line platform: "To defend our (Natural)
God-given, unalienable, Constitutionally protected and guaranteed
rights."

Subscribe by sending email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Also see our main website at:
http://www.therevco.org

To subscribe to the We the People Constitutional Activism Scoop,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you wish to unsubscribe from We the People Constitutional Activism Scoop,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

All other changes for personal attention, such as changing your email address, send to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Be aware that you may be receiving mail forwarded from a group,
in which case you may have to visit http://groups.yahoo.com to unsubscribe.
Please also note that mail sent to our "reply to:" address,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] is usually ignored....

Libertarian Libertarian party

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS