Rick Stanley
Constitutional Activist
Phone: 303-329-0481
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We the People Scoop 11/12/05
WE THE PEOPLE SCOOP - TO EXPOSE!                                    **
**  Visit the website: http://www.stanley2002.org                   **
**  OR Our NEW Offshore Host at www.wtpconstitutionalactivism.org   **
**  Like the Scoop? Forward it to everyone you know!                **
**                                                                  **
**  SPECIAL NOTICE: Many of our readers know that the scooplist has **
**  been down for just over a month. We have been given no answers  **
**  by our previous hosts, so obviously we were taken down by the   **
**  Powers That Be (PTB) that do not what to see this kind of info  **
**  coming out. Hence, we have moved our newsletter and will mirror **
**  the Stanley2002.org website to offshore servers where they      **
**  cannot be tampered with.  The new mirrored site will be at:     **
**  http://wtpconstitutionalactivism.org                            **

OPINION RELEASE: It Never Was 'Can-Do' Government

It Never Was 'Can-Do' Government by William L. Anderson

            It Never Was 'Can-Do' Government
            by William L. Anderson

            Each Monday and Friday, I make sure that I read the latest rants
from Paul Krugman in his New York Times column. While I generally agree with
him when he speaks of the war in Iraq, when it comes to everything else, he is
little more than an ignorant statist - granted, an ignorant statist with a
doctorate in economics from the prestigious Massachusetts Institute of
Technology. I expected him to write about what is becoming our own Gulf War,
and he did not disappoint.

            Krugman wants us to return to the era of "can-do" government. This
is not even the government that placed astronauts on the moon; no, it was the
"can-do" government during the glorious Clinton years that handed out checks to
disaster "victims" via the Federal Emergency Management Agency. As usual,
Krugman demonstrates that his experience of being a political operative
combined with his mathematical graduate training at MIT is no match for a
simple understanding of economics and society. Those Austrian Economists he so
loves to criticize are much better equipped to recognize just what has happened
and why. (For starters, read Lew Rockwell's outstanding comments on this whole
matter.) It never has been "can-do" government, even though people like Krugman
and E.J. Dionne of the Washington Post cannot recognize that fact.

            As a real-life "Lord of the Flies" scene unfolds in New Orleans, we
forget the simple reasons why this tragedy has occurred: New Orleans for many
years has not been as much a functioning city as it has been an urban
reservation. Yes, the place has a beautiful French Quarter and the restaurants
are outstanding. There is much to love about this city that seems to have lost
its future, but even a cursory look always exposed a much darker side.

            New Orleans is the home of some of the most dangerous and hideous
public housing projects in the country, not to mention huge neighborhoods of
tumble-down shacks. Much of its population owes its existence not to tourism or
the commerce of the ports or oil and gas, but rather to the federal government.
As I said in the previous paragraph, much of New Orleans has been little more
than an urban reservation, and now we are seeing the ultimate - and logical -
results of America's grand experiment with the welfare state.

            The mobs that have terrorized this city over the past few days did
not come from the working sector of the city. Instead, they came from the
projects and the other places where the only commerce is in drugs, sex and
liquor, and where those "bourgeois" values so hated by intellectuals and the
editorial staffs of the New York Times and Washington Post are not to be found.

            We forget that these are the people who depend upon the state for
their entire sustenance. From the welfare case worker to the public housing
director to the clinic doctors to the parole officers to the policeman, these
are the "significant others" in the lives of people living in these urban
reservations. All of their exposure to "social" organization is through
government, which operates by force.

            To the contrary, most of the people who survived the tragedy and who
have been heroic in their response are people whose lives revolve around
organizations built largely upon trust and exchanges of mutual benefit. The New
York Times crowd may disparage the world of churches, business, nuclear
families, schools (especially private schools), civic clubs and the like, but
it is through those voluntary organizations that many of us are taught the
basic lessons that enable us to survive and even prosper when disasters strike.

            People of the reservation, on the other hand, have none of these
important support mechanisms. Few of them have intact nuclear families,
religious education either through church or school is almost nonexistent, and
forget participation in civic organizations (other than the
government-organized tenant associations of the projects). In short, what
little order they have in their lives is kept together through force. While
they may be "free" to come and go, their existence is little better than what
one has in prison.

            (On a related note, many young men - and some young women - from
these reservations find their way into various stages of incarceration. A
reason that many of them convert to Islam is that it is a religion that
consists of numerous rules and regulations and, for many of them, presents a
mechanism through which they can have some organization in their lives.)

            For the most part, their experience with private property is limited
to the few personal items that they own. They live in places built by a
government that has no respect for the private property of others. Thus, no one
should be shocked when in a catastrophe occurs, they respect the property and
safety of no one else.

            In our cities, the urban reservations are mostly populated with
blacks. However, the behavior that is exhibited by the public housing
population here is little different than what one would see in places like
Liverpool, England, which is little more than a vast urban reservation
populated with poor whites. This is not a racial matter, even if some wish to
see it that way. Instead, we are dealing with people who given just enough to
survive, but who have no real responsibilities in life except to show up at the
government office on the day that checks or goods are dispensed.

            The intellectuals and members of the political classes who dreamed
up and created these public housing schemes looked down upon the world of work,
private enterprise, and religion. They really believed that during the 1950s and
60s when they bulldozed entire neighborhoods - and the small businesses that
helped sustain them - and replaced them with giant, sterile housing projects
with nary a store or shop in the vicinity - that they were "solving" the
"problem" of "substandard" housing. Now, when we see those policies coming to
their full and horrible fruition in New Orleans, they can only demand that we
expend even more resources into these places.

            It seems that the central belief was that government could take care
of people from cradle to grave, provide for all of their "needs," and shield
them from the real world of work, risk, and even tragedy. Yet, through all
this, they created a hellish world in which everyday life is punctuated with
crime, violence, and hopelessness. While we can condemn the looting, vandalism,
and predatory behavior that has become the scene in New Orleans today, we need
to remember that many of the real perpetrators are not just the people
committing these horrible acts, but also those who put the urban reservation
system into being.

            People like Paul Krugman and E.J. Dionne like to call the welfare
system a "safety net." I would like to think of it as something akin to a pit.
As long as the "underclass" that this system produces can be kept out of sight
and out of mind, we like to fool ourselves into thinking that government has
taken care of their needs. It is only when the horror that has been the fate of
New Orleans happens that we see the system in all its evil.

             September 3, 2005

            William L. Anderson, Ph.D. [send him mail], teaches economics at
Frostburg State University in Maryland, and is an adjunct scholar of the Ludwig
von Mises Institute.

            Copyright © 2005 LewRockwell.com

            William Anderson Archives

Disclaimer: Information shared in the Stanley Scoop is not necessarily
the opinion of the editor or staff.  It is shared for information
purposes only and it is recommended that you come to your own conclusions.
Live Free or Die! Liberty in our Lifetime!
We the People Scoop
http://www.stanley2002.org
http://www.wtpconstitutionalactivism.org
Reply to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Listen to: Standing Up for America Radio Show with Rick Stanley
Every Sunday, 6pm MST for 1 hour
On Truth Radio Network
to listen, click here: http://www.truthradio.com
Sponsored by:
Stanley Fasteners and Shop Supply http://www.stanleyfasteners.com

Also check out The Revolutionary Coalition!
This group is working to unite all third parties that defend the
constitution, independents, and non-voters (making up 60% of
Americans) into one SUPER THIRD PARTY!

This group has a single line platform: "To defend our (Natural)
God-given, unalienable, Constitutionally protected and guaranteed
rights."

Subscribe by sending email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Also see our main website at:
http://www.therevco.org

To subscribe to the We the People Constitutional Activism Scoop,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you wish to unsubscribe from We the People Constitutional Activism Scoop,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

All other changes for personal attention, such as changing your email address, send to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Be aware that you may be receiving mail forwarded from a group,
in which case you may have to visit http://groups.yahoo.com to unsubscribe.
Please also note that mail sent to our "reply to:" address,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] is usually ignored....

Libertarian Libertarian party

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS