Hi all -

As you may know from my occasional posts here, I've been building large-scale
systems based on libevent since 2003. We put our first server into production
in January 2004, and over the years we've submitted a number of bugs and fixes
to the codebase. At my last company, Right Media, we reached around 150,000
rps; at my current company AppNexus I wouldn't be surprised if we exceed that.

I'm posting because we're starting to need someone full-time to help us do
low-level development in and around the libevent and networking code (to
squeeze more performance and minimize latency) and I figured there might be
folks on the list who had interest. I plan to contribute back to the core
codebase regularly, especially when it's time to upgrade to 2.0. We're based in
NYC. Job description below - feel free to contact me directly with questions.

Brian

AppNexus is a cloud computing company focused on reliable, high-performance
applications operating primarily in the online advertising space. Our business
has grown steadily since our first launch in January 2008 and we're in
excellent financial shape to grow our team and client base. Most of our
existing team comes from Right Media, where we scaled our ad-serving platform
to more than 100,000 requests per second before we sold to Yahoo! in 2007. We
are once again building a game-changing ad platform designed to push our
industry to new levels of efficiency and spend.

We are now looking for a senior C developer/hacker to help repeat this
experience and lead our next generation of serving and storage products.  We're
looking for a true technical rock-star who is comfortable building and scaling
massive globally distributed systems such as:
- A high-speed libevent based ad-server that handles 100s of thousands of
requests a second (100s of billions a month) in multiple datacenters across the
world.
- A globally distributed key-value data store that can handle several hundred
read and write requests per second on 10+TB of data
- A data processing pipeline that can handle all the data generated by the
above!

About you:
- At least 5 years of experience building and operating large scale distributed
applications.
- Strong C/C++ background with experience in event-based processing --
preferably libevent
- Experience debugging and tweaking the Linux networking stack to identify and
resolve performance bottlenecks and debug application issues
- Experience running a 24/7 application where any crash or memory leak is
critical and every millisecond of latency counts
- You should thrive in a fast paced startup environment and have a passion for
solving difficult problems.

The compensation package includes a competitive base salary, health, dental,
401k, and vacation time. Interested? Please send a resume and cover letter to
care...@appnexus.com or to the email address attached to an individual job
posting.