A word of caution: we used cmake for a fairly large cross-platform
client-side development project.  The MSVC people are not happy with the
results, and neither are the Unix people.  My experience is that only
trivial compilations that are identical cross-platform can be accomplished
easily; the rest must be implemented per-platform anyway in a language
which is slightly less pleasant to program in than XSLT.

Ken