I am interested in taking a DVD, or lets say an MPEG-PS VOB
file from a DVD, and splitting it up into as many separate
video segment files as I can (as few fields/frames/pictures
per file) without splitting interdependent pictures...
essentially without losing any information.

As I am doing that, I would like to write a log of how many
frames are in each segment, and what the framerate in it is,
so I have a running total of the elapsed time, which I can
use for synchronizing those segments with everything else.

Or I guess I could wait to do the actual splitting and just
write the log file along with corresponding byte offsets
into the stream, and have something separate which can use
the log file as an index to do splitting or extracting a
set of frames based on the byte offset.

I want to make sure I get all the information I need to
line up all the streams in the program (video, audio,
subtitles, etc), and make as precise incisions as I can
without having to re-encode the video.  I do expect for
a select few segments I will actually split them into
individual frames and have to re-encode them.

As trivial as I expect this would be for somebody familiar
with the low level details, I am having trouble finding
a set of programs which provide it out of the box.  Is
something equivalent to this already available using the
existing tools (like mpeg2dec), or trivial to build on
libmpeg2?  Or maybe there is something like the transcode
tcprobe and avisplit stuff which can already do this?