Hi Diogenes,
You are right about cursors in odbc (client or server cursors), but they are
controlled by the application and here there is no cursor. I had a look at
the ODBC log trace there was no cursor option positioning either (
SQLSetStmtAttr ). My server is 2005 SP2+ security fix (9.00.3080.00).
I'm not a fan of ODBC, but with Windows and MSSQL at least it rocks (avoid
any ODBC specific syntax commands), on the other side having access to SQL
Server from Unix is really a plus and I would'nt dismiss FREETDS on the
contrary - I don't know about ODBC on Linux.

About this test, it is not a "real" test, but repeating the same query will
make all data and plans in cache on the server side and that's perfect here
because I want to see connection performance , not sql performance. What I
suspect here is a connection / deconnection overhead, perhaps I should not
disconnect between queries in the loop.
It would be interesting to make a real test - I've thought sometimes about a
tpcc like benchmark - could be interesting in Pharo even Glorp.

Cheers
Alain