On 01/03/2012 02:35 AM, James C wrote:
What now strikes me as more likely is:
   - each process from each version of LibreOffice cooperates with
other processes, so that only one LO process is running
   - (probably) the cooperation extends across versions
   - I don't recall whether I got a window, or only a change of current
application
   - I may have had a change to an already-running process from the other
version
   - (probably) closing that to retry enabled me to have the version I wanted

Yes, that's another source of confusion. Upon startup, an soffice instance tries to connect to a "named pipe" with a well-known name (and sets that pipe up in listening mode if it does not yet exist). That way, only one instance will ever be running for a given installation. The well-known name contains (a hash of) the user installation path, so whenever two installations would share a user installation, they are connected in this way. (See desktop/source/app/officeipcthread.cxx for details.)

Stephan