On 24/03/2021 16:54, Miklos Vajna wrote:

* master branch rename (Cloph)
   + https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/3442

Given that this is all being driven by a parochial American problem, and I suspect to a large extent much of the disquiet is the Rest of the World getting pissed off with American Cultural Imperialism (I'm not accusing them of *intentionally* doing it, I'm just saying that is what it is / is perceived as) can we look at the fact that LO is a European project, and base our actions on that.

1) It started out life as a German product.
2) It now has a French name.
3) I think it's based in England now?

I'd like to see some Italian. Renaming "master" to "maestro" might not be enough of a change. We could always do "primadonna" which is understandable in most languages, but it is a bit long. For those who get the Rossini, my favourite would be "gatti" (or whatever the singular form is).

There's plenty of precedent for this - kernel hackers know all about "make mrproper". And of course, gatti is appropriate for Open Source :-)

The *perceived* big downside is, if we plough our own furrow, we're on our own if things go pear-shaped. Personally, I'd like to think the git guys would be keen to help a Poster Child doing its own thing, as an example that you *can* do your own thing and it all works.

(And as a Brit, I really don't see why furriners should bend over backwards to accomodate our refusal to be decent international language neighbours ...)

Chers,
Wol