Fridrich Strba wrote:
> Andrew Ziem wrote:
>
>> I have started* a Microsoft Works (.wps) document importer.  Since
>> libwpd has been incorporated into three word processors, I thought I'd
>> emulate the libwpd API to make it easy to implement support for Works.
>>

> Very wise approach :-) It goes in line with Will's vision from this
> e-mail
> http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/openoffice/2004-October/000556.html
> and with an approach that I was trying to urge the OOo Google SoC
> mentors to consider
> http://sw.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=1241

Thanks for the links.
> Unfortunatelly, due to a low number of slots allocated to OOo, none of
> the "Text importer" projects went through for SoC 2006, as you may know
> :-( So, I am glad to see you in the "Text importer" universe again ;-)

Yes, one of those rejected SoC 2006 applications was mine.  :)  I
applied to do the Apple iWorks filter, but I never heard much about why
mine application wasn't accepted.   I suppose I should have chose a more
"killer" project like the grammar checker.

>> Then, it was necessary or convenient to copy and paste libwpd's source
>> code.  Now, I'm seeing there is a lot of copying, pasting, and renaming
>> strings like "WP" to "WPS."  To avoid forking what has turned out to be
>> an increasing amount of  code, any thoughts on consolidating efforts?
>>

> Yes, copy&paste == evil. Andrew, quick look at our API would suggest
> following: Do not copy anything. Just for the time being make depend the
> libwps on classes from libwpd public headers (WPXProperty* family
> classes, WPXString, WPXHLListenerImpl (and eventually WPXInputStream)
> interface class(es),...).
I'll see what I can do.
> It is quite possible that one could extract
> the framework for the next ABI breakage from the libwpd-0.8.so into a
> separage libwpd-framework-0.9.so, but as far as I am concerned, my todo
> list is still long enough and the libwpd API is written in written in
> stone for at least 1 year more. I have some ideas for API changes for
> next release cycle of libwpd (like removing completely the libgsf
> dependency from the provided stream implementation, some changes
> concerning the page spans and adding callbacks for embedded objects...)
> but I do not want to touch the API as long as I have still non-breaking
> changes in my todo list.

So, I will try to avoid breaking the API.
>> * I am able to dump plain text from Works 4 and 7/8 formats.  Also, I
>> have some progress on page and character formats in Works 4, which is
>> apparently the most popular of the Works formats.  But I don't have any
>> source code worth showing.
>>

> Even the most ugly code that has some desired functionality is worth
> showing. IMHO, technical discussions around an existing, though
> imperfect, code are really useful for one's growth ;-) And I know what I
> am saying when I speak about imperfect code from my own hacking
> experience :-)

I'm attaching some messy, experimental code that mostly just dumps the
text area from 3 Works formats.   This code isn't integrated into libwps
(though you can already see the copy and paste).   I'll post more code
later.

Andrew