Thank you, Mark.  That single line - using Net::SSL - did the trick.

I agree that a little more documentation along the lines of what you
described would definitely have helped a Perl-novice.  Not knowing
the evolution of LWP, and the dated documentation on SOAPLite
definitely made this a, somewhat, harrowing experience.

I will update the SOAPLite list and point them to this thread for
the solution.

I appreciate your help, Mark; thanks again.

Arshad