Hi,
I've been looking into making the MSN plugin use a newer protocol version so we can get some more features in it. But after looking at some other clients code it seems like a lot of work just to get through the authentication steps. So I though, maybe it would be possible to use an existing library for MSN support, just like we use gloox for Jabber. As the current MSN plugin is pretty basic, an existing implementation could add a lot for us.

I've had a quick look at libmsn (used by Kopete) and think it might be a candidate. What do you guys think? Should be go for a library or is it better to stick with our own implementation? If we replace it, does anyone know if libmsn is good/usable/maintained or if there is something better out there?

On a related note, I've been thinking on doing something to improve how we handle MSN conversations. As MSN lack simple messages, everything is effectively a group chat and I can't figure out how to log history for this. As long as it's just two people, it can be handled as instant messages like today, but if a third person enters it suddenly becomes a group chat and the history should contain all messages, not be split between the history for all the participants. I would like to log group chats (for other protocols as well) and have a good way to handle it (both in history files and show it in the gui). I would also like to keep the illusion of sending instant messages so the gui behavior can be consistent with other protocols.

Does anyone have any ideas on how this could be solved? Preferably without having separate files for each conversation.

I would really like to have group chat functionality in Jabber, but I always get stuck on how to make the api and history generic enough to work with MSN.

/Anders