Hmm. This isn't working. When I put <lift:Menu.item name="home" /> on
the page, I get blank output, i.e. this:

<li><lift:Menu.item name="home" /></li>

Becomes this:

<li/>

I notice that in your thread you say:

"If the menu item can be displayed, an <a
href="...">text</a> will be generated, otherwise a blank will be returned."

What does "if the menu item can be displayed" mean? Here is the relevant
portion of the site map:

Menu(Loc("home", List("index"), "Home", Hidden))

Where am I going wrong?

Chas.