Bjarte,

What version of Lift are you using?

In the current trunk-head (0.10-SNAPSHOT, which I would strongly
encourage using), you can do:

<lift:Menu.builder li_item:class="foo" li_path:class="bar" />

And the class of the current menu item will be "foo" and the class of
the <li>'s that are in the breadcrumb path to the item will have the
class "bar"

Thanks,

David