David,
I suggest to leave blueprint as it is and to create your own stylesheet.
Create a directory in the webapps dir and put a new .css file into it. Link
that file into your template .

It should be possible to override the blueprint definitions with something
like:

textarea {
width:300px !important;
}

It's not possible to set columns or rows in css, just the width and height in
px, pt, etc.

Hope that helps,
Joachim