On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 6:34 PM, parag978978 <parag978...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to know the technical reasons why the lift webframework has
> high performance and scalability?

The JVM and not getting in its way. :-)

The JVM is the best way to deploy high performance software.  HotSpot does a
better job of optimizing code than any static compiler and GC-based memory
management is faster in aggregate than malloc/free.  Yes, folks can find
micro-benchmarks that demonstrate that C programs are faster, but those
examples don't scale as the complexity of the systems grow.

Scala's immutable data structures make scaling apps much easier.

> I know it uses scala, which has an
> actor library, but according to the install instructions it default
> configuration is with jetty. So does it use the actor library to
> scale?

Actors and Jetty have nothing to do with each other.  Lift takes advantage
of Jetty and Servlet 3.0 continuations for long polling operations.  Lift
also use Actors for long polling so there are no threads consumed during the
polling.

> Now is the scalability built right out of the box. Just add additional
> servers and nodes and it will automatically scale, is that how it
> works? Can t handle 500000+ concurrent connections with supporting
> servers.

Can you elaborate on this goal.  There's no enterprise system that I know of
that has this kind of requirement.  Most enterprise systems need no support
more than a few thousand open sessions.  Even the largest companies don't
have more than a few thousand people accessing the same app.

Thanks,

David

Git some: http://github.com/dpp