The default setup uses Apache Derby[1], which is an in-memory db.

You are free to use other DBs, most commonly used would be MySQL and
PostgreSQL, although there are others.
Take a look here,
http://wiki.liftweb.net/index.php?title=Cheat_Sheet#Connection_String_Quickies

[1] http://db.apache.org/derby/