I don't appear to have any conflicting jars in my TOMCAT_HOME/common/
lib folder, however, I am now realizing that I have a postgres
jdbc3 .jar file in there and I am using a jdbc4 .jar postres file in
my webapp.  Perhaps that is the problem?  I'll check that out.

I am using Lift 1.0.1 with Scala version 2.7.5
It does work with the tomcat on my computer, which leads me to believe
that it should be compatible with the current versions of Lift/Scala
that I'm using.  Maybe that's an incorrect assumption though, as I'm
not very familiar with tomcat.