I think that Jonathan was impolite in expressing his frustration at being
misunderstood.
But are his points not valuable?

-------------------------------------
David Pollak<feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com> wrote:

Jonathan, your comments are someplace between not helpful and troll-like.
It'd be best if you did not continue to participate in this thread.

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 5:36 AM, jonathan mawson <umpti...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If there's no rational reason to use Lift, then perhaps you could find
> another community to spend your time in.
>

> I didn't say that there was no rational reason to use Lift BUT THAT YOU ARE
> FAILING TO COMMUNICATE WHAT THAT REASON MIGHT BE TO POTENTIAL USERS! You
> can't expect potential users to be Internet mind readers. Which is what
> your
> current strategy amounts to - other than "People will try Lift because
> there
> is a buzz about Scala."
>

> > Lift is not a clone of any framework.  It's different and there are
> > reasons for those differences.  If you don't like them, please use what
> > you like best.  Use what feels most comfortable for you.  Use what works
> > best for you.
> >

> I very carefully did NOT say that Lift should be a clone. I did say that,
> when you ask users to do things contrary to their expectations of a modern
> web framework, you tell them WHY you are asking them to do that and what
> the
> payoff will be for them. I'd talk them through these "surprises" with a
> series of short snippets in boxes - I'd also use these snippets for any
> "gotchas" like those critical spaces after the "/". I might start with:
>
> Working through this tutorial you'll encounter a horrible surprise - Lift
> is
> not YARC! (Yet Another Rails Clone.) That is because we have designed Lift
> to be a fundamentally different creature to Rails. Rails is an excellent
> framework whose first priority is ease of use for simple jobs where server
> efficiency can be traded away to get a site running quickly with minimum
> effort. Lift is a framework designed for jobs where Rails has run out. A
> well designed Lift site can handle up to 20 times the traffic of an
> equivalent Rails site on the same server. And while it perhaps isn't as
> easy
> to do simple things in Lift as in Rails, it is much easier to do most of
> the
> hard ones. In a way, both frameworks carry their philosophy in their names
> -
>
> - Rails expects you, the programmer, to be happy to run on a relatively
> pre-determined track in return for a simpler life.
>
> - Lift, like its host language Scala, is designed for HEAVY LIFTING. Its
> priorities are delivering security, maintainability and performance over
> the
> widest possible range of applications. It makes obtaining these good things
> as simple as possible, but occasionally you just have to eat your greens if
> you want to grow up big and strong.
>
> Those are the rationales behind the design choices we made. Creating your
> first toy site with Lift will take longer than with Rails, but creating
> your
> first secure, scalable site will take less time. Whenever Lift wants you to
> [...]

Surf the harmonics