For your particular example, you can use head merge as Naftoli suggests. Head
merge is a behavior of Lift templates where any <head> tags will be merged
together for the final output, so you put your meta name="description" in each
of the specific places, any general head stuff you want in your surrounding
template and they will magically get folded together at render time.

For other cases, you have a couple tools at your disposal:
 - RequestVars -- variables that are local to a particular page request. You
can use these inside snippets to capture and recover values during template
processing.
 - Bind points. In a surrounding template you can use tags like <lift:bind
name="foobar" /> and then define what to put there in the surrounded template
using <lift:bind-at name="foobar">the content</lift:bind-at>

And there are more. Hopefully head merging will work for you in this case.

-Ross