Hi Art: Here's a check list for troubleshooting:

Solve Logon Problems on Linux or Unix

To troubleshoot problems logging on a Linux computer with Active
Directory credentials after you joined the computer to a domain, perform
the following series of diagnostic tests sequentially with a root
account. The tests can also be used to troubleshoot logon problems on a
Unix or Mac OS X computer; however, the syntax of the commands on Unix
and Mac might be slightly different.

Make Sure You Are Joined to the Domain

Execute the following command:

/opt/likewise/bin/domainjoin-cli query

If you are not joined, see Join Active Directory with the Command Line.

Check Whether You Are Using a Valid Logon Form

When troubleshooting a logon problem, use your full domain credentials:
DOMAIN\username. Example: likewisedemo.com\hoenstiv.

When logging on from the command line, you must escape the slash
character with a slash character, making the logon form
DOMAIN\\username. Example: likewisedemo.com\\hoenstiv.

To view a list of logon options, see About Logging On.

Clear the Cache

You might need to clear the cache to ensure that the client computer
recognizes the user's ID. See Clear the Authentication Cache.

Destroy the Kerberos Cache

Clear the Likewise Kerberos cache to make sure there is not an issue
with a user's Kerberos tickets. Execute the following command at the
shell prompt with the user account that you are troubleshooting:

/opt/likewise/bin/kdestroy

Check the Status of the Likewise Authentication Daemon

Check the status of the authentication daemon on a Unix or Linux
computer running the Likewise Agent by executing the following command
at the shell prompt as the root user:

/sbin/service lsassd status

If

Do This

The result looks like this:

lsassd is stopped

Restart the daemon.

The result looks like this:

lsassd (pid 1783) is running...

Proceed to the next test.

Check Communication between the Likewise Daemon and AD

Verify that the Likewise daemon can exchange data with AD by executing
this command:

/opt/likewise/bin/lw-get-dc-name FullDomainName

Example: /opt/likewise/bin/lw-get-dc-name likewisedemo.com

If

Do This

The result does not show the name and IP address of your domain
controller

1.    Make sure the domain controller is online and operational.

2.    Check network connectivity between the client and the domain
controller.

3.    Join the domain again.

4.    View log files.

The result shows the correct domain controller name and IP address

Proceed to the next test.

Verify that Likewise Can Find a User in AD

Verify that the Likewise agent can find your user by executing the
following command, substituting the name of a valid AD domain for
domainName and a valid user for ADuserName:

/opt/likewise/bin/lw-find-user-by-name domainName\\ADuserName

Example: /opt/likewise/bin/lw-find-user-by-name likewisedemo\\hab

If

Do This

The command fails to find the user

1.    Check whether the computer is joined to the domain by executing
the following command as root:

domainjoin-cli query

Displays the hostname, current domain, and distinguished name, which
includes the OU to which the computer belongs. Make sure the OU is
correct. If the computer is not joined to a domain, it displays only the
hostname.

2.    Check Active Directory to make sure the user has an account. If
you are using Likewise Enterprise, also ensure that the user is
associated with the correct cell.

3.    Check whether the same user is in the /etc/passwd file. If
necessary, migrate the user to Active Directory.

4.    Make sure the AD authentication provider is running by proceeding
to the next test.

The user is found

Proceed to the PAM test later in this topic.

Make Sure the AD Authentication Provider Is Running

Likewise includes two authentication providers:

1.    The local provider

2.    The Active Directory provider

If the AD provider is not online, users are unable to log on with their
AD credentials. To check the status of the authentication providers,
execute the following command as root:

/opt/likewise/bin/lw-get-status

A healthy result should look like this:

LSA Server Status:

Agent version: 5.0.0

Uptime:        2 days 21 hours 16 minutes 29 seconds

[Authentication provider: lsa-local-provider]

        Mode:     Local system

[Authentication provider: lsa-activedirectory-provider]

        Mode:     Un-provisioned

        Domain:   likewisedemo.com

        Forest:   likewisedemo.com

        Site:     Default-First-Site-Name

[r...@rhel4d bin]#

An unhealthy result will not include the AD authentication provider or
will indicate that it is offline. If the AD authentication provider is
not listed in the results, restart the authentication daemon.

If the result looks like the line below, check the status of the
Likewise daemons to make sure they are running.

Failed to query status from LSA service.  The LSASS server is not
responding.

Switch User to Check PAM

Verify that a user's password can be validated through PAM by using the
switch user service. Either switch from a non-root user to a domain user
or from root to a domain user. If you switch from root to a domain user,
run the command below twice so that you are prompted for the domain
user's password:

su DOMAIN\\username

Example: su likewisedemo\\hoenstiv

If

Do This

The switch user command fails to validate the user

Generate a PAM debug log.

Also, check the following log files for error messages (the location of
the log files varies by operating system):

/var/log/messages

/var/log/secure

Test SSH

Check whether you can log on with SSH by executing the following
command:

ssh domain\\usern...@localhost

Example: ssh likewisedemo.com\\hoens...@localhost

Additional Diagnostic Tools

There are additional command-line utilities that you can use to
troubleshoot logon problems in the following directory:

 /opt/likewise/bin

See Also
Resolve an AD Alias Conflict with a Local Account

________________________________

(c) 2008 Likewise Software. All rights reserved. For more information,
contact i...@likewisesoftware.com or visit www.LikewiseSoftware.com
<http://www.likewisesoftware.com/> .

Steve Hoenisch

Technical Editor and Writer