On 4/2/17 1:13 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Renato Fabbri"
<lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=byu....@gnu.org on behalf of
renato.fab...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ok, I looked through the LilyPond code.
>
>Notes:
>*) There seems to be some emphasis on the perspective given in the book
>Die Jazzmethode fuer Klavier 1 (Klaus Ignatzek).
>Can someone send me a PDF of this book or know how can I find
>an online copy at least of the most important parts for this case?

I do not have a PDF or a reference.  But I think that the emphasis on
Ignatzek need not be exclusive. That is, Ignatzek has a point of view on
chords.  So do Brandt and Roemer.  Lilypond should be able to support
anybody's view, not just one person's.

>*) Just so I (and other proponents) get it very clear, what do we need
>beyond our current capability exposed in the snippet:
>http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/tree/
>Documentation/snippets/chord-name-exceptions.ly

This capability reflects the current state of LilyPond's chord naming
structure, which is to try to guess the name of the chord by analyzing
pitches.  So if you want to define a new chord name, you do it by defining
the list of pitches in the chord.  It's doable, but the chord itself
doesn't carry any semantic information.

The proposal is to put the necessary information describing the semantics
of the chord in the chord itself, rather than trying to recreate it from
the notes present in the chord.

Here's an old proposal that never made it to application:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2009-01/msg00897.html

Here's an interesting discussion on chord names that addresses a suspended
chord:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2015-11/msg00864.html

Here's another thread that shows problems with chord naming:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-02/msg00391.html

Here's an email discussing another possible benefit of the approach:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2014-11/msg00155.html

And another discussion of some of the challenges:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2002-05/msg00069.html

Here's one that actually started the thinking for the GSOC project:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2014-12/msg00617.html

Somehow the last thread got broken; here's the follow up:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2015-01/msg00065.html

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks,

Carl