> Le dimanche 15 octobre 2023 à 18:39 +0000, Werner LEMBERG a écrit :
>
>> does localization of, say, `lilypond --help` work on Windows?  I've
>> tested LilyPond 2.25.9 within `cmd.exe` of a US version of
>> Windows 10 (i.e., the standard language and region setup is for the
>> USA), and I can't make it output anything else but US English.  It
>> doesn't react to setting any of the `LANGUAGE`, `LANG`, or
>> `LC_MESSAGES` environment variables.
>>
>> Looking into the source code I don't see that we are disabling
>> gettext support on Windows.  What am I missing?
>
> I don't believe Windows uses these environment variables to specify
> locales.

Well, I read nothing in the documentation of 'gettext' that those
variables are ignored on Windows.

Bruno, can you comment and/or have a look, please?  A Windows package
of LilyPond (which can be installed in any directory) is available at

  https://lilypond.org/development.html

> Have you tried changing the language of the whole system?

No, I didn't, and I don't want to.  I'm just following the
instructions in the Usage Manual

  https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.25/Documentation/usage/environment-variables

to check whether they are valid for Windows, too.

    Werner