On 16 June 2017 at 13:05, Kieren MacMillan <kieren_macmil...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> Perhaps the best plan is for us to start with some *very simple* use cases
> — more simple than the choral work I mention above (and which Mark K
> "solved") — and discuss how existing Lilypond features do or do not satisfy
> the constraints/expectations. And once we've set up some basic test
> files/cases, we should definitely get Mark K and David K [at least] in on
> the thread, because they have (I believe) the most in-depth knowledge of
> how all of the remove-layer stuff does/can work.

It would not be too hard to automate running Lilypond with one's scripting
language of choice. One thing I do is see the largest I can make a score
while it still fits on to x pages, by compiling a score at ever more
specific sizes.

If there was engraver/listener that outputs to a separate file where line
and page breaks eventually occur, you could re-run Lilypond adding a file
that adds these breaks explicitly and whatever other information you need
(in my case it would be a VS indication if and only if a page-break occurs
a particular point).

This would be quite a bit more complicated, but with a listener from
keepAliveInterfaces you could theoretically add instrument and group names
as needed throughout the score.

(Maybe these listeners already exist...)

Vaughan