Hi Wol (et al.),

> No. I just view a markup block as exactly that - a block.

The problem is, given enough horizontal offset, eventually the reader can't
tell what's part of the original block and what's a new chunk [based over a new
moment]. Vertical stacking doesn't have that potential ambiguity.

> a tempo mark always belongs *after* a rehearsal mark if they collide

In my opinion, a tempo mark belongs exactly over the moment it affects, and all
other marks need to move (horizontally, vertically, or both) around it.

> tempi and tune names should work well together with rehearsal marks.

Agreed.

> It just seems to me that whenever I need them together
> I end up fighting lily to get a good-looking solution

You could write a [single] function which gracefully handles all possible
combinations, according to your preference(s)…  =)

> Yes, I know, I'm a grumpy old man :-)

Well, then… there's that.  ;)

Cheers,
Kieren.