On 15 January 2018 at 07:58, Urs Liska <li...@openlilylib.org> wrote:

> Am 11. Januar 2018 05:38:29 MEZ schrieb Vaughan McAlley <
> vaug...@mcalley.net.au>:
> >On 8 Jan 2018 12:35 p.m., "Andrew Bernard" <andrew.bern...@gmail.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> >Hi Urs and All,
> >
> >A totally successful install on a new Ubuntu 17.10 pristine image. All
> >works fine as per the source installations now updated.
> >
> >A large vote of thanks to all who untangled this ball of wool. Despite
> >lifetime of software development experience, I kept going round in
> >circles
> >and never got it working. A big achievement and well done to you all.
> >
> >Andrew
> >

> >On 7 January 2018 at 20:38, Urs Liska <li...@openlilylib.org> wrote:
> >
> >> I've done a new iteration on the Wiki page. I've also added a concise
> >> walkthrough at the end that leaves out all the explanations and

> >It's good to know it's possible. Does anyone know whether a failed
> >installation of Frescobaldi 3 endangers a working 2.20 installation?
> >
> >Vaughan
>
> More concrete information: it is perfectly possible to install both F2 and
> F3 side by side -wherever the necessary packages are available. All Ubuntus
> since 16.04, and Debian 8-9. Debian 10 doesn't support F2 anymore.
>
> I'll update the F2 wiki ASAP, although I don't consider supporting F2 a
> priority.
>
> Urs

Thanks Urs. As it turned out, I looked up my Debian version and realised
that Debian 9 was now stable. So I upgraded, not as carefully as I should
have, and got a non-booting version of Debian 9. It looked easier to
reinstall Debian 9, so after I did that
> sudo aptitude install frescobaldi
...installed Frescobaldi 3 flawlessly. So no need for Frescobaldi 2.But you
would only ever need one at a time.

Also, with a non-booting system, I spent some time on the Fedora partition
I use for testing. Frescobaldi 3 installed easily that too. So it seems
easy enough on “fresh” systems.

I have had similar problems to Andrew with VLC. After trying to install
some unusual codec or something I got stuck in an incompatible dependency
vortex that I couldn’t escape from. Not fun.

Vaughan