I have been setting up a server for a mailing list I created for
harpsichord discussion. It took three months full time work by me to set up
all the open source software. So I have deep knowledge of this area
currently. A large part of the technical difficulty is actually getting
mails out through the complex world of spam blacklists, and DMARC is a huge
and very difficult and complex part of this, along with SPF and DKIM. The
change that is being made here is clearly necessary to me, and explains
some of the list issues people were having lately. Sadly, it's probably
unintelligible to non-experts.

But classifying mail into folders for this list is trivial - just make a
filter rule on the To: header. I have used that just fine for years. Any
mailer can do that nowadays.

Andrew