On Sun 15 Oct 2023 at 15:07:52 (+0100), Graham King wrote:
> Note to self, since this thread has risen to the status of
> documentation for me:  Valentin's method is sensitive to slurs in the
> instrumental line (I suspect that the end of a slur is equivalent to
> \unset melismaBusy), so some adjustment may be necessary.
  [ … … ]
> It also, understandably, gives weird results if applied immediately
> after a rest, so this does not work:
  [ … … ]

It strikes me that trying to keep the notes in one continuous voice
is what makes things complicated, judging by the snippets you've
posted. Why not just put the verse and full sections in separate
voices, and combine them on the staff. I've massacred a bit of Boyce
as an example, attached.

If I needed MIDI files, I would separate each and every section
(ie, the two voice sections in this fragment), so that they could
all be concatenated in the right order for the MIDI.

Cheers,
David.
\version "2.24.0"
\language "english"
\paper {
  #(set-paper-size "a5landscape")
  print-page-number = ##f
}
#(set-global-staff-size 18)
\header { tagline = ##f }

global = {
  \key bf \major
  \time 3/2
  s1. * 4
  \bar "||"
  s1. * 4
  \bar "||"
  s1. * 4
  \bar "|."
}

sopranov = \relative {
  bf'2 bf1
  a1 bf2
  r2 a1
  bf1.
  s1. * 4
  bf2 bf1
  a1 bf2
  r2 a1
  bf1.
}

soprano = \relative {
  s1. * 4
  a'2 a2 a2
  bf4.( c8) bf2 bf2
  g2 g4. a8 g2
  a2 a2 r2
  s1. * 4
}

altov = \relative {
  g'1 f2
  f1 f2
  r2 f4( c2 d8 ef8)
  d1.
  s1. * 4
  g1 f2
  f1 f2
  r2 f4( c2 d8 ef8)
  d1.
}

alto = \relative {
  s1. * 4
  f'2 f2 f2
  g4.( a8) g2 g2
  e2 e4. f8 e2
  f2 f2 r2
  s1. * 4
}

tenorv = \relative {
  d'2 d1
  c1 d2
  r2 f,1
  f1.
  s1. * 4
  d'2 d1
  c1 d2
  r2 f,1
  f1.
}

tenor = \relative {
  s1. * 4
  d'2 d2 d2
  d2 d2 d2
  c2 c4. c8 c2
  c2 c2 r2
  s1. * 4
}

bassv = \relative {
  g4.( f8 g4. a8) bf2
  f1 bf2
  r2 f1
  bf,1.
  s1. * 4
  g'4.( f8 g4. a8) bf2
  f1 bf2
  r2 f1
  bf,1.
}

bass = \relative {
  s1. * 4
  d'2 d2 d2
  g,2 g2 g2
  c2 c4. c8 c2
  f,2 f2 r2
  s1. * 4
}

texts = \lyricmode {
  Hal -- le -- lu -- jah,
  A -- men.
  Hal -- le -- lu -- jah,
  A -- men.
}

\score {
  \new ChoirStaff <<
    \new Staff <<
      \clef treble \global
      \new Voice { \sopranov }
      \addlyrics { \texts }
      \new Voice { \soprano }

    \new Staff <<
      \clef treble \global
      \new Voice { \altov }
      \addlyrics { \texts }
      \new Voice { \alto }

    \new Staff <<
      \clef "treble_8" \global
      \new Voice { \tenorv }
      \addlyrics { \texts }
      \new Voice { \tenor }

    \new Staff <<
      \clef bass \global
      \new Voice { \bassv }
      \addlyrics { \texts }
      \new Voice { \bass }

  \layout { }
}

\score {
  \new ChoirStaff <<
    \new Staff = "top" \with { \consists Merge_rests_engraver } <<
      \clef treble \global
      \new Voice = "soprano" { \voiceOne \sopranov }
      \addlyrics \with { alignAboveContext = "top" } { \texts }
      \new Voice { \voiceOne \soprano }
      \new Voice { \voiceTwo \altov }
      \addlyrics { \texts }
      \new Voice { \voiceTwo \alto }

    \new Staff = "bottom" \with { \consists Merge_rests_engraver } <<
      \clef bass \global
      \new Voice { \voiceOne \tenorv }
      \addlyrics \with { alignAboveContext = "bottom" } { \texts }
      \new Voice { \voiceOne \tenor }
      \new Voice { \voiceTwo \bassv }
      \addlyrics { \texts }
      \new Voice { \voiceTwo \bass }