On Sun 07 Jan 2024 at 23:55:09 (+0000), Karen Billings wrote:
>  Thank you so much for the info, Kieren.
> I followed your instructions and moved the bar numbering block
>     \context {      \Score      \consists "Bar_number_engraver"
> barNumberVisibility = #(every-nth-bar-number-visible 1)      \override
> BarNumber.break-visibility = #end-of-line-invisible    }
> from the beginning of the score to the layout block, as in your example.
> Unfortunately, I now get two bar numbers on every measure (not just the first
> one in each line)! (Is it already Monday?)
>

> Revised snipped attached.

I compiled the attachment you posted (Morning Wings (snippet2).ly)
and got an eight measure score with each measure numbered (once).
Perhaps you hadn't commented out the first half-dozen lines under
\score when you compiled it, viz:

  % Move measure numbering to layout section
  % \context PianoStaff \with {
  %    \consists "Bar_number_engraver"
  %    barNumberVisibility = #(every-nth-bar-number-visible 1)
  %    \override BarNumber.break-visibility = #end-of-line-invisible
  %  }

Cheers,
David.