> On 21 Feb 2024, at 14:30, Matthew Pierce <pierce...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> For hairpin positioning within a whole note, the Manual gives the syntax
> \relative {
>     \after 2 \< c'1
> }
> Is there an effective \after syntax for hairpin positioning within NON-whole
> notes, such as  the second note in this (intuitive but) nonviable expression?
>
>   \relative {
>     \after 2 \< c'4 2.
>   }
>
> CONTEXT: I need to place an \espressivo-shaped, double-hairpin swell
> underneath a dotted half note. Also, I need it to be stretchable, so that I
> can horizontally align it with the other, more active parts/staffs in my
> orchestral score.
>
> Thanks, Matt

If I interpret your nonviable snippet you want the hairpin to start halfway
through the measure and thus 1/3 into the dotted half note. Which means your
crescendo should apply to the c’2. rather than the c’4, which means the logical
snippet would be:

  \relative {
     c'4 \after 4 \< \after 2.\! 2.
     % or
     c'4 \after 4 \< 2. <>\!
  }

Note: The explicit crescendo-end (either with another \after, or by an empty
chord is required in this small snippet as without it Lilypond complains
(warning) about an unterminated crescendo and completely omits the hairpin.
Depending on where the crescendo needs to end in your actual music you may or
may not need it, but for this snippet it is required to add.