Thanks for the information.

In music for the oboe there are one or two marks that are used to indicate alternative fingerings, which are preferable depending on the notes on either side. They are usually "II", "III", "L" placed close to the note.

As a beginner at Lilypond, I was looking for a way to achieve this. I started just saying c4^"III" or similar. I then modified that to use \markup to shrink the text. But if there is a more "natural" way of adding these fingering marks, I would be happy to learn of it!

Here is a fragment which shows what I was trying to avoid:

"Should it always be kept inside the slur?" - I think the answer is "not always" - it only looks wrong to me when the mark is a long way from the note.

Thanks again

-- Peter

On 27/02/2024 19:03, Xavier Scheuer wrote:
On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 at 17:28, Peter Mayes <pe...@petermayes.org> wrote:

> Almost certainly a fairly trivial question: in bar 3, how to put the "L" mark above the note, but below the slur?

Hello,

Should the "L" mark really be considered as a Fingering object? Because as you currently define it, it's a TextScript.
Should it always be kept inside the slur?

In that case adapt your definition of "left" to this:
left = -\tweak avoid-slur #'inside \finger \markup { \fontsize #-4 L }

Kind regards,
Xavier