On 2024-03-19 10:13 pm, John Helly wrote:
Aloha.

I'm trying to improve a score that my colleagues find confusing since they mis-interpret A(b5) as Ab5; that is, when cis1:5- is transposed to A(b5).

The transpose (cis to a) is not applied in the example below and that may further complicate things as I'm not sure whether parentheses could/should be added before the transpose or after. So, this may actually be two problems.

So I'm seeking a way to put parentheses around the (b5) superscript.  I found this related snippet in the docs but can't seem to apply it usefully to this situation.

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Does this help?

%%%%
\version "2.22.0"

% Exception music is chords with markups.
% Specifically, chords rooted on C.
chExceptionMusic = {
  <c e ges>1-\markup \super { ( \flat 5 ) }
}

% Convert music to list and prepend to existing exceptions.
chExceptions = #(append
  (sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions chExceptionMusic #t)
  ignatzekExceptions)

theMusic = \chordmode {
  \set chordNameExceptions = #chExceptions
  cis1:5-
  des1:5-
}

\layout {