This does not make sense to me at all.  line-positions is a property
of the staff symbol, as is line-count.  If someone is calling

 Staff_symbol::on_line(x, y)

where x is not in fact the staff-symbol, then that is an error in the caller.

--
Han-Wen Nienhuys - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen