On 22 May 2009, at 14:43, Graham Percival wrote:

Of course, 'security' is relative - nothing will stop a commited
hacker who's targeted your system, so I'm a bit mystified by
some of the other responses here.

That's not true -- The only reason that computer security is a
joke is that people *treat* it like a joke.  It's entirely
possible to create a system that will foil a committed hacker.

I just found this document, that discusses the security issue in both in general and specific terms:

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/documentation/Security/Conceptual/SecureCodingGuide/

There need to be some vulnerabilities, but those can easily happen for a variety of reasons. Usually, the human factor is in play at some level.

  Hans