Hi Jay,

>> Is it possible to check whether the page is odd or even in creating
> >> the score title markup. I'm setting a group of hymns and I'd like the
> >> hymn number on the outside of the page.

:
The discussion at
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/reference-to-page-numbers
is
helpful in this regard.

>From define-markup-commands.scm, I took the definition of \page-ref
discussed in the link and adapted it so that it returns a markup justified
to the left or right sides of the page, depending on whether the page
number is even or odd.

Notice that I used "piece" for the title of each item.  I'm not sure why
substituting "title" gives no output.

Hope this helps!

-David