A few years ago I was encouraged to try LilyPond as an alternative to Sibelius because LilyPond produced more beautiful scores. I was also told that it would allow me to do things like specify that bars 25 through 32 are to be identical to bars 9 through 16 and avoid cutting and pasting from bars 9-16 into 25-32. I liked what I heard, but I was quite shocked by LilyPond's interface. I would be interested in hearing from any Sibelius users who have successfully learned LilyPond. How can I get going in LilyPond as quickly as possible?

In case it's relevant, I should add that I used to program in FORTRAN and a little bit of UNIX but never in any other languages.

Thanks in advance,
John Link

P.S. I sent the message above but I didn't receive it so I'm sending it again. I have seen messages from other users.

http://www.cdbaby.com/all/johnlink
http://www.myspace.com/johnlinkproject