Hi Nick,

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:29 PM, Nick Payne <nick.pa...@internode.on.net>wrote:

> I'm using define-markup-command to simplify the indication of barring for
> a single chord, but what I have at the moment defaults to being centred on
> the note, and the vertical line indicating how many strings to cover is
> overlaid by the notehead unless the markup position is tweaked. Is it
> possible, if I have an additional numeric argument for the amount of shift
> needed, to apply that shift from inside the define-markup-command rather
> than having to use an external tweak?

Do you mean something like the following (which duplicates the image you've
uploaded)?

 \version "2.15.32"

#(define-markup-command (mbarre layout props fretnum vdrop offset) (markup?
number? number?)
   (interpret-markup layout props
   #{
      \markup \translate #(cons offset 0) \small \bold { \concat {
       \postscript #(string-append "0.1 setlinewidth 0.7 -0.5 moveto 0 -"
       (number->string vdrop) " rlineto 0.5 0 rlineto stroke") $fretnum } }
#}
   )
)

\relative c'' {
<e c>4^\markup { \mbarre "V" #2.3 #0 } <e c>^\markup { \mbarre "V" #2.3
#-1.5 }
}

HTH,
David