Thank you very much, I will try this out later today.

By overriding the stencil directly you have already solved my other problem
that I didn't even post so far ;-)
Now I can write a macro
editorialArpeggio = {
\once \override Arpeggio ...
}

I need this because I place all my editor's additions in an extra file. They
are then processed through a "draftMode.ily" to color them while I'm still in
the editing process ...

Best
Urs

David Nalesnik <david.nales...@gmail.com> schrieb:

Hi again!

Here's something that works for arpeggios.  The attached file is a bit large
because I needed to include several functions from stencil.scm to draw the
parentheses.

Oh, what ever was I thinking!  No need at all for all that duplicated code...

This is all you need:

\version "2.15.36"

\relative c' {

  \override Arpeggio #'stencil = #(lambda (grob)

    (parenthesize-stencil (ly:arpeggio::print grob) 0.1 0.5 0.5 0.2))

  \override Arpeggio #'before-line-breaking = #(lambda (grob)

    (set! (ly:grob-property grob 'X-extent)

          (ly:stencil-extent (ly:grob-property grob 'stencil) X)))

  \repeat unfold 4 {

  <c g' e'>-\arpeggio

  }

  <cis dis fis gis cis dis gis>-\arpeggio