Hi Jim,

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 8:17 PM, Jim Long <lilyp...@umpquanet.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 12:19:25PM +0100, Peter Toye wrote:
> > I found the cres--cen--do conversation - it seems that there's
> > a general need for a new form of text spanner which can spread
> > out the text.
>
> At the risk of seeming a curmudgeon, I would refute "general."
>
> I'm unclear on what the difference in meaning is between:
>
> crescendo ----------------------------
>
> and

Well, there's no difference in meaning.  I think the idea here is so that
the player doesn't lose sight of what all the dashes in the score are
prolonging.

In any case, this notation is common and should be available in LilyPond.

One ought to be able to replicate indications like this, from #144 of
Bartok's Mikrokosmos:

poco  a  poco_ _ _ _ tornando _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ al _ Tempo I.

-David