On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 4:46 PM, <pe...@chubb.wattle.id.au> wrote:

> What's more, is there a reason to have the structure in a different
> voice?

Good question. For me,  it's mostly about the DRY principle (don't repeat
yourself).  I'm in the process of writing a program that tries to maximize
one's opportunities to exploit the repetitive aspects of most compositions
when entering the notation for multiple voices.  It's a work in progress,
but if you're curious it lives at
https://github.com/Michael-F-Ellis/TransLily

As for the whole \repeat unfold business, I'd love to understand why LP can
merge repeats in the PDF but can't do it MIDI.  I know the developers are
really smart folks,  so it must be way more challenging than I'm imagining.