On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Barry Song <21cn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/3/30 Michael Hope <michael.h...@linaro.org>:
>> I couldn't reproduce this, sorry.  I built nbench using
>> gcc-linaro-4.5-2011.03-0 using both -O3 -mtune=cortex-a9
>> -mfpu=vfpv3-d16 and -O3 -mtune=cortex-a9 -mfpu=neon and in both cases
>> ASSIGNMENT completes.
>
> Thanks. i will check whether it is our chip issue.
>
> here one question: how much arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc depends on glibc version?
>
> i run apt-get linaro 4.4, then got linaro 4.5 too. i found 4.5 was
> using glibc 2.12, but old 4.4 was using 2.11. apt-get 4.5 modified
> glibc from 2.11 to 2.12.  But 4.4 could still use new glibc to compile
> and we haven't had any problem by now.  I even recompiled a glibc 2.13
> to replace current 2.12, but i didn't recompile gcc based on the
> glibc, the toolchain 4.4 and 4.5 can still work.
>
> As i know, we compile arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc by following steps:
> 1. compile gcc 1, bootstrap in fact
> 2. compile glibc by gcc1
> 3. compile gcc2 based on glibc from step 2.
>
> why can toolchain still work well by the steps?
> 1. keep arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc unchanged
> 2. replace glibc
> So i am not sure whether any hidden problem exist by replacing glibc simply.

You should be OK as glibc supports versioned symbols.  Providing your
glibc is newer, any functions that have changed in functionality
should include a versioned, backwards compatible version.

Ask youself why you are doing this though.  If it's just to save time,
then I wouldn't recommend it.  It adds another variable to your
product which may bite you later on.

> one more question, my ubuntu 10.10 always said "/lib/libc.so.6: file
> not recognized: File format not recognized" if i enabled c++ language
> when compiling linaro gcc 4.4 and 4.5. Then i can't install
> libstdc++-v3 with errors like:
> /bin/sh: line 3: cd: arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libstdc++-v3: No such file
> or directory
> make[1]: *** [install-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1

This is probably due to a configuration problem.  The ARM build is
picking up the x86 libc6 from the host machine and rightly complaining
that it's incompatible.  Try adding
'--enable-poison-system-directories' to your configure options.  That
should help track it down.

-- Michael