Actually NTFS can be made to be case sensitive.

-----Original Message-----
From: linaro-toolchain [mailto:linaro-toolchain-boun...@lists.linaro.org] On
Behalf Of Jim Wilson
Sent: Thursday, April 7, 2016 5:26 PM
To: Gunnar Arndt <gunnar.ar...@vacos.de>
Cc: Linaro Toolchain Mailman List <linaro-toolchain@lists.linaro.org>
Subject: Re: Linaro toolchain: libstdc++.so: file format not recognized;
treating as linker script

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 2:43 AM, Gunnar Arndt <gunnar.ar...@vacos.de> wrote:
> I've unzipped the Linaro gcc archive with WinRAR, and - what probably
> makes the difference - chosen NOT to overwrite duplicate files during
> unzipping.
> It works now for simple test programs, but I fear that there will be
> problems some time soon because of content not properly extracted.

I tried 7-zip.  In the extract window, there is a list of errors, which reports
that every symlink create failed.  It creates 0 size files instead, which
obviously won't work, and will give the error you saw.  I tried WinRAR.  It
also gave an error for every symlimk, but produced a more useful error message
that says I have to use administrator mode.  It copies the symlink target into
the symlink instead, so I get a 8.9MB libstdc++.so file instead of the symlink
I was expecting.  This does work, but will waste some disk space.  Both of
these problems are fixed by running 7-zip or WinRAR as the administrator.  I
get correct symlinks in both cases.

The other problem with the duplicate files is due to a linux kernel package
called netfilter.  Linux has case insensitive filesystems, and netfilter has
some file names that differ only in case, e.g.
/usr/include/linux/netfilter_ipv6/ip6t_hl.h and ip6t_HL.h.  This is unfriendly
to windows which is case preserving, but not case insensitive.  It looks like
even cygwin is getting this wrong.  There isn't much that can be done about
this.  But this is only an issue if you want to use the netfilter package,
which is not common in application programs.  If you do need to use netfilter,
then you may need to use a linux hosted cross compiler instead of a windows
hosted cross compiler.

Jim