At the moment we use fonts/sans.ttf which is DejaVuSans.ttf from
http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/. Unfortunately this font does not
contain the glyphs required for Chinese or Japanese. If you link
or copy an appropriate font to fonts/sans-ja_JP.ttf this language
will work. Some characters in the credits will be broken then
but gameplay is fine.

Problem is we don't ship these additional fonts. I never found one
which was free and had a licence I was able to understand.

We could change to a single font covering all of Unicode we need.
Does that even exist?  Well, there is unifont.ttf
http://www.lgm.cl/trabajos/unifont/index.en.html but it does not
look that good. I can see pixels there.

Improve the rendering to automatically use multiple fonts at the
same time might be an option. But we would still need cleanly
licenced additional fonts to add to the release.

Probably more work for coding would be using fonts already available
on the system. Can that be done in a portable way? Also we'd never
know for sure which font is available so the game would not look
the same on on platforms.

Tschüß,
Wolfgang
--