> This may not be such a bad thing, especially if AOL recognizes the benefits
> of running Linux on the zSeries.  I'll bet AOL has gobs and gobs of servers
> in their server farm...
About 5-6 years ago I was talking with one of their farm operation staff
managers and the web farm (then) was "thousands", and there were other similar
sized farms of other types of servers too (as it was told to me). In addition,
at that time they had a small number of very large "key" servers that were not
"farm" based (but did require lots of resources). (I don't know how this may
have changed since then.)

However, that does not mean that they are a good match for zSeries based farms.
For instance, their encryption/decription engine farm (one of the others my
friend mentioned) would be running flat out CPU burners. So I wouldn't assume if
their farms' characteristics would benefit or not...

Peace -njg