>> I have a RedHat 7.2 system with xinetd configured to run wu-ftpd.  Our
fire
>> wall does not allow the auth service through, so the user has to wait
20-40
>> seconds for it to time out before they can logon.  I tried disabling this
>> for ftpd in the ftpaccess file with "timeout RFC931 0"
>>
>> This seems to have no affect.  Anyone know how to tell ftpd not to use
the
>> auth service.

> How do you know it does? Given the amount of anonymous ftp done,
partcularly by
> Windows boxes that dun't comprehend auth, and via Squid hides people from
any
> possible auth request it doesn't make sense to me that it would.

This is on a linux to linux ftp.  While the ftp connect is waiting, the
server
shows the following:

[root@UNS root]# netstat -a
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp        0      0 *:http                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:ftp                   *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      1 UNS.cdm.oclc.org:1025   ibml01.dev.oclc.or:auth SYN_SENT
tcp        0      0 UNS.cdm.oclc.org:ftp    ibml01.dev.oclc.or:1092
ESTABLISHED
tcp        0     48 UNS.cdm.oclc.org:ssh    dhcp30-94.dev.oclc:4282
ESTABLISHED
udp        0      0 *:syslog                *:*
Active UNIX domain sockets (servers and established)
Proto RefCnt Flags       Type       State         I-Node Path
unix  6      [ ]         DGRAM                    861    /dev/log
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    1053
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    1023
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    995
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    873
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     483

The auth connection goes away at the same time the ftp login prompt appears
at
the ftp client.  I don't think that's a coincidence.

Lonny