Alan - you are missing the point and I believe that Dave already mentioned
some of the reasons but I will add mine.

We are a OS/390 shop with ZERO VM skills. The distributed group does not
want to learn z/VM for many reasons, among them are the lack of any usable
intro/how-to documents to get started with - the existing pubs assume a
firm foundation or knowledge gained from attending a class. The OS/390
sysprogs that are assigned to the z/VM + Linux world have this as just
another assignment and thus do not have the time to become full fledged
z/VM sysprogs and management does not want to hire a z/VM sysprog full
time or contract for one. Management has been led to believe that
z/VM+Linux is simple and it isn't.  SAF was, supposedly like VIF, a simple
to use tool but it was to limited to be helpful beyond some very basic
functions.

If you want z/VM+Linux to be successful you (IBM) need to publish a simple
HowTo type document with step by step instructions, with explanation, for
setting up and managing this new environment.  Or you need to convince
management that they need to train/hire/contract for z/VM skills and that
they can't assume that the individual(s) will have time to do other z/OS
activities if the z/VM+Linux environment is dynamic/active to any degree.

Lionel B. Dyck, Systems Software Lead
Kaiser Permanente Information Technology
25 N. Via Monte Ave
Walnut Creek, Ca 94598

Phone:   (925) 926-5332 (tie line 8/473-5332)
E-Mail:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sametime: (use Lotus Notes address)
AIM:        lbdyck

Linux on 390 Port <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 05/14/2002 09:10:00
AM: