Paul,

SuSE ships the following test.pl CGI script.  If this works, then the
problem is in your script.  If the script doesn't work, then it's probably
in your Apache configuration files.  The permissions on this file are as
follows:
~ > ls -l /usr/local/httpd/cgi-bin/test.pl
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 400 Nov  6  2000 /usr/local/httpd/cgi-bin/test.pl*

#!/usr/bin/perl

# your httpd.conf should have something like this:

# Alias /perl/  /real/path/to/perl-scripts/

# <Location /perl>
# SetHandler  perl-script
# PerlHandler Apache::Registry
# PerlSendHeader On
# Options +ExecCGI
# </Location>

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

print "%ENV: <br>\n", map { "$_ = $ENV{$_} <br>\n" } keys %ENV;