Dave Rivers wrote:

> But - when I try this with TurboLinux-64, I don't get a
> message that indicates a shared library can't be found,
> I get a message that indicates the program can't be
> run at all...
>        $ ./prog
>        $ sh: ./prog: No such file or directory

You probably don't even have the 32-bit dynamic loader
(/lib/ld.so.1) which is entered as 'ELF interpreter'
in the ELF headers of applications with dynamic
dependecies.

If the kernel can't find the ELF interpreter, it will
also return 'No such file or directory' ...

> (maybe it should be saying some shared library is missing?)

That's what the dynamic loader would be saying if
you had one.  (Then again, it might be that ld.so also
just says 'No such file or directory' if a library is
missing unless you run it in ldd mode - I don't recall
right now.)

Bye,
Ulrich

--