Tom,

I'm not sure either.  Did you keep a copy of your old .config file around?
Comparing the two might be informative.

From: Geyer, Thomas L. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 10:42 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: New Linux Kernel - Problem with Console Messages

I have created a new kernel, 2.4.17 with the timer fix. When I was rebooting
the virtual machine, I noticed that the console messages contained some bad
characters as shown in the following sample:

Starting Name Service Cache Daemon
 7  [80C [10D [1;32mdone [m  8
 [m Starting inetd 7  [80C [10D [1;32mdone [m  8
 [m  [m
Starting httpd [
 ]
 7  [80C [10D [1;32mdone [m  8
 [m
Starting Webmin server in /usr/libexec/webmin
 [m Master Resource Control: runlevel 3 has been   [80C [10D [1mreached [m

Here is a sample  from the previous version console log:

Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 [EMAIL PROTECTED]).
..done"
Starting Name Service Cache Daemon
..done"
Starting inetd
..done"
Starting httpd [
 ]
..done"
Starting Webmin server in /usr/libexec/webmin"
Master Resource Control: runlevel 3 has been reached"
"c
"
"
 Welcome to SuSE SLES-7 (s390) - Kernel 2.4.7-SuSE-SMP (console)."
"

I had assumed that I had not selected the 3270 character set in menuconfig,
I went back and checked and I had the 3270 option selected. I did not see
anyother options that were obvious to me that I should select to solve this
problem. I am sure it something simple and small that I have overlooked.

Does anyone have any ideas what I did wrong?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Thomas L. Geyer
Email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone:(330) 471-2073
Fax:(330) 471-4034

This message and any attachments are intended for the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not forward, copy, print, use or disclose this
communication to others; also please notify the sender by
replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.

The Timken Company